In addition to the generic populace of common infected zombies in the The House of the Dead series, there exists multiple archetypes of "special" enemies whose mutations grant them unique attacks posing a far greater threat than the ordinary opposition faction. Referred to as "bosses", they are generally undead creatures, though they are more mutated or technically formed than the standard creations encountered. They exist due to the experiments of Dr. Curien, and represent his attempts to push the boundaries of power that his monstrosities could wield. All are virtually impervious to conventional attacks, with the only method of damaging them being via one to several weak points unique for each boss, sometimes highlighted in the AMS files. Final bosses may not have a weak point indicated and players will have to find this themselves. Each is named after one of the Major Arcana tarot cards (with the dubious exception of House of the Dead: Overkill) and given a corresponding Type Number, Letter, alphabet or some combination of the three. While a high number of them are undead, not all are made from a human base (such as Lovers and Tower), hence they take many forms, from animals to plants and snakes to spiders. Generally speaking most possess low intelligence, with their mindset comparable to that of a guard dog, but a select few (such as Hangedman, Magician and Star) demonstrate high level brain functions, seemingly capable of arranging and acting towards pre-arranged endgames.
List of BossesEdit
The House of the Dead / MobileEdit
These Mutations arose as a result of the first experiments using the mutagen that created all the creatures. All of them (except Magician) served as guards to Curien's laboratory, with Hangedman being the only one with a slightly different purpose, which was to assure the death of anyone on the grounds, rather than lab defense from inside the house. These Mutations would form the basis for almost all subsequent Mutations, with Chariot and Hangedman directly serving as the templates for both creature components in the boss Judgment in The House of the Dead 2.
These Mutations were created by Goldman (utilising Curien's mutagen, with Magician being an almost exact replica of the original) to wreck havoc on the streets of Venice. Thus they were generously deployed throughout the city to sow unspecified chaos. Many of them claimed a particular territory for themselves, but were put down nonetheless one by one by the AMS agents. Magician personally oversaw the defense of the Goldman Building as its one-man bouncer. Strength was created and deployed solely as a suicidal gladiator against the AMS in the coliseum, while Judgment, Hierophant, and Tower took over the various parts of the city (the streets, river canals and sewers respectively).
Goldman demonstrated his ability to repeatedly produce these creatures by resurrecting all of the fallen ones after the defeat of Strength, so as to challenge the AMS agents once again. However, having defeated them once before and thus being familiar with their weaknesses, the Mutations were once again put down by the AMS. Strength was never revived for undisclosed reasons. After Goldman witnessed the defeat of Emperor, he warned that "a successor will come", and then committed suicide by throwing himself off the roof of his headquarters.
These mutations were left at the EFI research facility and they made home to particular areas. Death guards several areas as if it was still in operation, Sun has taken over the Bio-research plant while Fool recludes in the DBR institute awaiting prey. The Wheel of Fate was defeated in its incubation chamber, and intended to escape to the outside world.
These mutations were sent out across the city as per Goldman's plan. Similar to the first outbreak, Justice, the Lovers and Temperance were sent out across the city to wreck general havoc (the sewers, streets and other areas). Empress was sent to kill the AMS agents like Strength (chainsaw and all) while Star guarded the DBR building. The World was the checkmate piece, but fell without leaving the courtyard.
Unlike the previous games, Overkill's bosses aren't named after cards of the Major Arcana. This is likely because most bosses in previous games were based on Dr. Curien's experiments, while the creatures in Overkill were created before Curien's descent into madness.
Main Series: The only remaining Tarot cards that have not shared their names with a boss in The House of the Dead series are The High Priestess (Tarot No. II), The Moon (Tarot No. XVIII), and The Devil (Tarot No. XV), and Minor Arcana.
- No. VII The Chariot (HotD 1)
- No. XII The Hangedman (HotD 1)
- No. IX The Hermit (HotD 1)
- No. VII The Chariot (HotD 1 *repeat fight*)
- No. XII The Hangedman (HotD 1 *repeat fight*)
- No. I The Magician (HotD 1 Final Boss)
- Zeal and Kuarl, No. XX Team Judgment (HotD 2)
- No. V The Hierophant (HotD 2)
- No. XVI The Tower (HotD 2)
- No. VIII Strength (HotD 2)
- Zeal and Kuarl, No. XX Team Judgment (HotD 2 *repeat fight*)
- No. V The Hierophant (HotD 2 *repeat fight*)
- No. I The Magician Version 2 (HotD 2)
- No. XVI The Tower (HotD 2 *repeat fight*)
- No. IV The Emperor (HotD 2)
- No. XI Justice (HotD 4)
- No. VI The Lovers (HotD 4)
- No. III The Empress (HotD 4)
- No. XIV Temperance (HotD 4)
- No. XVII The Star (HotD 4)
- No. XXI The World (HotD 4)
- No. XI Justice (HotD 4S)
- No. I The Magician Version 3 (HotD 4S)
- No. XIII Death (HotD 3)
- No. XIII Death/No. 0 The Fool/No. XIX The Sun (HotD 3 Note: these bosses can be fought in any order the player chooses)
- No. X The Wheel of Fate (HotD 3)
- Jasper (HotD O)
- Coco and Sindy (HotD O:EC)
- Meat Katie (HotD O:EC)
- The Screamer (HotD O)
- Nigel and Sebastian (HotD O)
- The Crawler (HotD O)
- The Lobber (HotD O)
- Brutus (HotD O)
- Mother (HotD O)
- The names of the bosses (except those from Overkill) are named after Tarot cards.
- Magician, Emperor, Wheel of Fate, and Temperance are the only Tarot bosses called by name.
- Magician is called by name in The House of the Dead 2 when playing alone as Gary, and by Dr. Curien in a flashback in The House of the Dead III.
- Emperor's name is mentioned numerous times by Magician, Goldman and later by the Emperor himself after his awakening.
- Wheel of Fate is called by name in The House of the Dead III by Dr. Curien and Daniel and the Mystery Man in The House of the Dead 4: Special.
- Though Temperance isn't called by name, in The House of the Dead 4 it's name is referenced by James's line "Temper this, buddy!".
- So far, The Magician, Justice, and Chariot are the only bosses with multiple appearances in the main series.
- The Magician appear as the final boss of The House of The Dead, the penultimate boss of The House of the Dead 2, a secret item in The House of the Dead III, and the final boss of The House of the Dead 4 Special.
- Justice appeared in The House of the Dead 4 and The House of the Dead 4 Special, both as the first boss of the game
- Chariot appeared as the first boss in The House of the Dead, and again as the first boss in the upcoming entry The House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn